Saturday 20 September 2014

Silenced


Katelyn Parker, 2014

Using images from the Public Domain is crucial to the success of this first thread for my final body of work.  By doing this I hope that I am drawing the viewer into the historical representation of Cupid.  In the image above I am attempting to connect to the historical but begin to connect the viewer into the contemporary part of my work.  The approaches I am employing at this stage rely on Grotesque principles, or applying a slight psychological shock to the work.  Cupid's mouth being covered with a bloodied bandage speaks to the silencing of the original meanings and purposes for the myth.  Once used to teach a civilisation moral and ethical lessons, the myth now is attached mindlessly and carelessly to commodities.

The ultimate aim of this thread is to position the myth historically and to begin to describe the erosion of meaning.  The theme of erosion is one that will carry through the body of work to the final thread, The desolation of Cupid.

Figure stock is from Wikimedia Commons, all other stock is my own.
Textures by NinjaRabbit-Stock

No comments: